Monday, March 8, 2010

Menu Planning

I do not menu plan. I want to learn within the next few years to do it. I know my mom always did it and supposedly, from what I read on the internet, you can save more money than normal by menu planning.

So I am testing the waters. I don't think we're the typical eaters around here though. I don't normally decide what to cook for dinner until Stephen gets home from work (roughly 4pm or later). Upon seeing how hungry he is and what we're both craving, we'll then decide together what to make. I guess this isn't going to work forever, though, since eventually I'll be cooking for a family of 3... 4... 5... whatever! The other thing is, Stephen isn't technically a picky eater but there are definitely things he doesn't like (big chunks of tomato, the aftertaste of onion, and eggs are all examples). So he will try anything new but he's very nervous about it.

I haven't told him yet but I've already planned our menu for this week.

Monday - OYO (on your own) I have Ladies Group at church and Stephen will be eating here with Brianna while I eat with the girls at church. Not cooking tonight.
Tuesday - Pasta Primavera (this meal will cost me less than $3 to make - I'll post a link to the recipe after I make it.)
Wednesday - Baked Bean Soup (another under $3 meal)
Thursday night - Eating Out Possibly eating out with our family. If not, I'll cook something up at the last minute.
Friday - Macaroni and cheese I can see people cringing at the fact that we might just eat mac and cheese for dinner, but this is a recipe I've been wanting to try for a long time and it makes a HUGE amount. I'll half it if possible but I'm not sure that's going to be an option. I'm sure we'll have another veggie with this meal.

I guess I'm supposed to plan Saturday night too but I haven't gotten that far. Plus I want to give Stephen the option to ask for something that he's in the mood for as well.

So do any of you meal plan? Was it hard to start or hard to stick to it?

1 comment:

'Tracey Garner said...

I use to do a menu all the time, and it wasn't hard at all. I just alwsys cooked the things I knew we liked. I only did it Mon-Fri...weekends were freebie's. It worked great for us and saved tons of money. I usually did a quick inventory of my freezer and pantry on Saturday and started planning with what I already had on hand.