Friday, April 2, 2010

$100 Grocery Challenge

Okay, March has come and gone, so let's check in and see how our $100 grocery challenge went this month....

BUSTED!!

On March 30, we had spent just at $99. So I decided just to splurge on the last day of triple coupons and buy all sorts of things we didn't need - ice cream and mozzarella sticks mainly!! I don't care, they are delicious and worth it!

So...

March:

Final shopping total - $430.09
OOP - $116.23
Saved - $313.86 (about 73%)

I'm still happy. And I'm going forth with a "suppressed" budget, with one change this month. I got $140 out of the bank instead of $100. Whatever is left over at the end of the month will go towards our credit card payment. I absolutely loathe having a credit card bill come (why are we STILL paying on some of our furniture???) so I'm always taking steps to put extra money towards it. Unfortunately, I don't make enough money right now to just throw hundreds of dollars to the credit card. This will make me feel like I'm doing something even if it's a small amount.

Is anyone else budgeting right now??

3 comments:

'Tracey Garner said...

That is great for the month still. I hate credit cards as well. That is what Ebay did for me at first...pay off cards. Now using the money to remodel our house. Good for you on saving money.

Unknown said...

I am trying my very best to live on $50 a week in groceries including all paper goods, woman's personal items (ehem!), pet food, toiletries, and of course food. It is very HARD!! Keep up the good work 116 dollars is awesome!

Amanda said...

Well, there are also more people in your family eating! When we have two kids that are eating as much as we are I will have to up our budget. As a rule I try not to ever pay for toiletries or sanitary items if I don't have to, but you can only do that after you have a stockpile going. You can do it!!