Friday, April 16, 2010

Miscellaneous


Brianna's first birthday is this Sunday, and while we decided not to go crazy on the party, we definitely want to make it more exciting than just regular lunch together or something. I was able to get cute stuff from Dollar General for a great price. Many of these things (the candle, streamers, banner, and possibly ribbon) will be able to be used in the future again. Any leftover paper products we'll use at the house. And any leftover food will be sent home with people or eaten for days by us!

Like I said, we're going simple. Cupcakes, not an extravagant cake. Chips and dip instead of lunch for everyone. Family only instead of inviting friends. It was even a splurge to buy a variety of drinks for everyone, and even that was cheap in my opinion.

Things purchased:
  • Chips and ingredients for dip (chili, cream cheese and cheddar cheese x2)
  • Cake mix (x2), frosting (x2) and decorative icing (I owned the icing already)
  • Drinks for everyone (diet Coke, regular Pepsi, and Sierra Mist, plus I have other drinks on hand)
  • Paper plates, napkins and cups (no utensils needed)
  • Birthday girl ribbon (I wanted to resist, but I couldn't)
  • #1 candle
  • Birthday banner
  • Red streamers
For all of this, I was able to spend under $30. I have to think that is pretty good! Six-packs of drinks are MUCH cheaper at dollar stores ($1.80-2.00) rather than buying 12-packs at grocery stores (usually around $5-7). I got the cake mix and frosting on sale a couple of weeks ago. I chose snack foods that wouldn't need plastic cutlery. Everything really did come from Dollar General.

I guess it also helps that we are the parents from Hades and we're not giving her a present. Stephen said we can always wrap one of her toys from upstairs and give it to her. I think she'll be overwhelmed enough as it is.

I wasn't going to put this money on as an addition to our grocery budget for this month, but I think I will. It'll definitely put us close to the $140 mark already but I think it's important to not pick and choose what is "grocery". So I'm taking one for the team!

Anybody else thrown some frugal parties in their day?

No comments: