Thursday, March 17, 2011

Make Your Own...

Bathroom Cleaner!

I have to be honest - most people complain to me about how expensive cleaning supplies are. I have not found that to be true in the past. And I have a stockpile of cleaning supplies to prove it! I basically won't pay more than about $0.50 for any type of cleaner - kitchen, bathroom, wipes, spray, etc. (My one exception is furniture polish because it's REALLY hard to find great deals on that, but even then I try not to spend over $1.00.)

So my problem has never been that it's too expensive, the problem is that I can't clean the bathroom when it's just me and my kids. Unavoidably if I am going to clean the bathroom without someone else around to distract the oldest, she will run in to play near me while I clean. Sometimes I have to bring in the baby so she'll have a companion. But then I don't want to use most of the cleaning supplies I have because the odors are so harsh and most of them have bleach in them. I just can't stand to think about that bleach just floating through the air and them breathing it in. Maybe that's paranoia but I know there have been many times I've left the bathroom coughing from the smell, so I have to think they're affected as well.

Windex has a great vinegar-based cleaner that is odorless and ammonia-free so I love to use it, but it's just not strong enough for the soap scum stains, say, on our shower floor. Normally I use straight up bleach, but like I said, that's no good for when the kids are in the same room with me. I mean, it's probably not even good for when it's just me in there!

I don't know how well these pictures are going to show up on here. But this is the before:

All I did was mix baking soda with water to make a paste. I spread it on the shower floor and then let it sit while I cleaned the rest of the bathroom. When I was ready, I just used my rag to scrub away the dirt and grime! I did have to add a little more water as I went along but it was still a really easy process.


Like I said, I'm not sure if you can really tell the difference by these pictures (also, this computer monitor is REALLY dirty so I definitely can't tell a difference!!) but I was absolutely amazed. I know there are tons of people out there who do this and I had just never gotten around to using it. The best thing is that Bri could wander in and out of the bathroom and I didn't feel guilty since there was no odor in the air.

Easy peasy!

No comments: