Monday, August 1, 2011

Make Your Own (And How To Freeze)

WAFFLES!

I'm sure most of you do have a waffle recipe in one of your cookbooks but how often do you use it? I never pay for frozen waffles (although if they are free, yes, I rack up on them!) because they are so easy to make! I was talking to a girl at church the other day about how often her family eats out just for convenience. I was suggesting doing baking days. This is a great thing for when you have some free time (I know, I know, what's that) that you can make in bulk all at once and freeze. So, this is the type of thing I would assume most people know how to do, but a wise woman (my sister) once told me never to assume that people know everything I know.

So, I give you, homemade waffles and how to freeze them for future use. (I got the recipe I use from here)

Waffles Recipe

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)


Preheat your waffle iron to the hottest setting. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees if you are eating them right away (you can put them in there to keep them warm).
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs thoroughly. Whisk in sugar, milk, and oil. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Don't overmix.
Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle your batter on your waffle iron and close it. Cook until done - your waffle should be golden brown and crispy.


Freezing them is a cinch! For example, this recipe makes eight waffles for my waffle iron. This morning when I made them, Brianna and I each had two, so we had four left over. I set them on a wire rack to cool. When they were cool, I simply put them in a freezer bag, put the date on them, and put them in the freezer! How easy is that!? They should last a good two months in the freezer.


Yes, you can do this with pancakes too. I have an awesome pancakes recipe... I'll need to find it and post it sometime. Oh, and go crazy adding stuff to your waffles - fruit (I have strawberries and blueberries galore in the freezer just begging to be added to my next batch!) or of course Stephen's choice - chocolate.

Make a large batch of these every couple of months and you'll never have to buy frozen waffles again!

Note: Okay, I just looked at the ingredients list on a box of frozen waffles in my freezer... over 30 INGREDIENTS! Are you kidding me!?!? That makes me cringe...

No comments: