Monday, November 14, 2011

Cheap Apple Spice Simmer!

Oh, when I saw this post I couldn't wait to try it! My kids eat apples all the time but half the time they want them peeled. Perfect opportunity to use the peelings in the kitchen!

What you'll need:
  • Apple peelings and core
  • Cinnamon (whole or ground)
  • Cloves (whole or ground)

Put the peelings and core into a pot and cover with water. I sprinkled cinnamon over it all and threw in some whole cloves. Throw in some cinnamon sticks if that's all you have or even throw in orange peelings. Bring to a boil and then turn down to the lowest setting and let simmer. Keep adding water as needed.

We couldn't believe how quickly this made our house smell delicious! I guess it's the same concept as potpourri, but I love the "recycling" factor of the peelings, especially since it's really too cold to take out the compost all the time.

No comments: