Friday, November 11, 2011

Make Your Own

Foaming Hand Soap!

Did that make you get all goosebump-y and stuff? Because when you make this it will change your life and you may never buy soap again.

What You Will Need:
  • Liquid hand soap refill (I got a 40 oz bottle for $2.25 at Family Dollar. I didn't take the time to price check anywhere else.)
  • A foaming soap dispenser (I had an old Dawn one; I think most dispensers run about $2-3 at the store but check for coupons!)

Step 1:
Add 1-2 tablespoons of liquid hand soap to the bottom of your soap dispenser. (I just eye-balled it. Just barely cover the bottom of the dispenser.)

Step 2:
Fill with warm water - SLOWLY!

Step 3:
Shake gently to combine. Pump the pump a couple of times to get the foaming started.

Step 4:
Give to your children to use and watch them get more excited over that than anything you've ever bought them. (My daughter washes her hands in the bathtub because it's the only place she can turn on the water, use soap and dry her hands without having to be held - we don't have a tall enough stool for other sinks.)

See that foam?

I did not tell her to cheese at the camera, she just does that on her own.


This is her saying, "I need some more." (For the third time.)


So tell me if I'm doing this math right. I paid $2.25 for my soap refill. I bought the foaming soap so long ago I don't know what I paid for it but I know it was around $0.25. Let's just be generous and round up my cost to $3.00. If I put 2 tablespoons of the soap refill into each batch of soap I make it will end up costing me $0.15 per batch.

And that, my friends, is something you can't beat.

All my information was seen first on Kingdom First Mom and she has some other interesting tidbits - like using foaming hand soap reduces the use of soap by 75% (except personally I feel that 2-year-olds may use it 75% MORE of the time!) and this same trick can stretch your dish soap and body wash. Check her out, her blog is awesome.

Oh, and you can even buy foaming dispensers from here.

No comments: