Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Freezer Cooking: Breakfast Burritos

I want lots of options for breakfast meals, because I try not to have things like Pop-Tarts and sugary cereals available (I love these foods, I just don't like feeding them to the kids very often) so that's why I figured out how to make ahead and freeze breakfast burritos. We have tons and tons of venison sausage in our freezer, so I'm happy to put it to use. This is a great way to get my kids to eat some meat and eggs, which they don't eat a lot of. (We have no issues getting them to eat cheese!!) You can make these pretty cheap too. I got the instructions for making these from here and she did a cost breakdown. My cost breakdown would be a lot different. I bought the tortillas for $0.79 but I only had seven leftover from making tacos a few nights ago. I paid $0.99 for the bag of cheese (used half a bag). The sausage was free. The eggs are $1.00/dozen from a friend at church and I used six. So these were super cheap for me to make (about $0.20 per burrito). The next time I make them I'll have to buy the tortilla shells but those are cheap enough that I won't mind at all!

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

12 eggs, beaten
1 lb bulk sausage, cooked
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
12 flour tortillas

Scramble eggs in large skillet until done and remove from heat; stir in cooked sausage and shredded cheese. Warm the tortillas about 20 seconds in a microwave or until they are warm and flexible. Place 1/2 cup egg mixture into tortilla; roll burrito-style.Freeze burritos in single layer on a cookie sheet. When fully frozen (in about 1 hour) place burritos in large zip-top freezer bag; freeze.




To serve from frozen: Wrap in a paper towel. Cook in the microwave until heated through - about 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes.

I do like to write my instructions on my freezer bags, just as a reminder.

You can also individually wrap these in aluminum foil - I would suggest a couple of layers to prevent freezer burning. Doing them individually is great if you make some with onion, some without. Some with green peppers, some without. Some with hashbrowns, some without... you get the picture! You can write on the aluminum foil with a permanent marker to remind yourself of the ingredients. I like these because they are straight-forward and simple, but the next time I have some green pepper in the freezer you know I will be adding some to my next batch!

No comments: