Monday, September 24, 2012

Make Your Own

Furniture Polish!

Okay, I admit it. I am officially slightly addicted to Pinterest. If you don't know what Pinterest is, I'm not even going to go there right now. If you know what it is and don't understand the hype, I was you about two weeks ago.

But there is something awe-inspiring about being able to find every. recipe. in the known universe on one website. And crafts galore. And frugal gifts for people. And inspiration for your house.

And then... homemade furniture polish?

Oh, be still my beating heart.



It really is that simple.

I just happened to start saving old containers (don't tell my husband, he thinks saving old containers is a waste of space!!) so I had a spray bottle on hand. I think you can buy them at the dollar store for $1-2.

Homemade Furniture Dusting Spray
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon essential oil
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 3/4 cups water

Mix the ingredients in the order listed into your clean spray bottle. Shake well to mix. Spray onto wooden furniture and wipe off with a soft cloth to dust and clean the surface.

I actually used lavender essential oil because it's what I had on hand. The scent isn't really strong, but I love it because it smells so clean and calm. I use it for my laundry detergent and fabric softener as well.

I love it. Honestly, it absolutely does just as well as the other furniture polish I was using (or better) except it's a fraction of the cost. I happened to have all these things on hand already, but I'd be willing to bet the most expensive item here will be the olive oil, and at two teaspoons per 8oz or so, that would go a long way.

Repeat after me - Homemade. Green. Safe for use around kids. Cheap. Effective. What more could a girl want in a cleaning product!?

Edit: Just an update. I can't believe how LONG ago this post was written (March 8, 2012). I just now ran out of this batch of polish. JUST NOW. TODAY. I dust 2-3 times a week, so yours may run out faster if you dust more (or have a bigger house) or you can make it last longer by only dusting once a month. Haha! :)  But I did want to assure everyone I still love this recipe. I will never purchase furniture polish again.

No comments: