Thursday, March 29, 2012

Scraggy Hair Begone!

This is a post for all you baby dolls out there.

A few days ago my sister-in-law Jennifer posted this link on my Facebook wall, saying, "Look, it's Heaven!" If you click that link you will find pictures of a Rapunzel doll... which Brianna (2 years old) got for Christmas last year. She has named the baby doll Heaven because of a baby who visits our church every so often. Don't worry, the baby comes with an adult.

But when I saw that the link was actually a tutorial for brushing said baby doll's hair... I was so excited!

You see, that's the thing about a Rapunzel doll. Her hair doesn't stay pretty for very long.



The girl who writes the blog Cookie and Claire actually researched the best way to brush a doll's hair. Yes, she did the hard work for the lazy people like myself! She even went to a beauty supply place and bought a wig brush (just $3) but I just used what I had on hand.

After doing her research, she found that most people used fabric softener as a detangler. She thought this would make the hair too greasy so she combined 2 tablespoons of fabric softener and the rest water in a travel spray bottle.

I didn't have a travel spray bottle but I just so happened to have an old bottle of John Frieda volumizing spray that I got a long time ago for a free sample. Voluminous hair on me is overrated, so I dumped out the bottle and filled it with about 1 tablespoon of fabric softener and the rest water (the bottle is quite small).

After I brushed all the hair out, I dumped out what was left in the spray bottle. I refilled it using water and 2 squirts of hair conditioner. I did this only because I used my homemade fabric softener the first time around, and I wanted to make sure the baking soda in that recipe didn't leave a gritty feeling in Heaven's hair. I combed it one more time all the way around after spritzing it with the water/conditioner mixture.


I turned on a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse from the On Demand channel for the kids to watch while I did this. I only mention this because those episodes are 24 minutes long, and I finished this with several minutes until the end of the show. I know it's going to get tangled again, but I can do this once every so often to at least tame it a little bit.

No comments: