Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kids Frugal Craft - Edible Paint!

I've been wanting to do this with the kids for a while and I finally got the opportunity today. Bri loves to paint and we've done several different types of paint. I got the instructions for this from here

You will need:
  • Clear plastic cups (I used glass custard dishes)
  • 1-2 cans of condensed milk (I used 1/2 of one)
  • food coloring
  • paper
 I also brought out paintbrushes, chopsticks, toothpicks and skewers, so the kids could test drive some of the different supplies.


Pour some of the condensed milk into your cups. Add food coloring. I let the kids stir it in, which was easy for Brianna of course (37 months) but Hunter didn't totally get the hang of it (19 months). No problem, I was there to help!


 Let them have at it! I even got into it!


When Brianna proclaimed that she was done, we took turns dumping out all the unused dye:


 If you hold it up really high it makes the cool drizzles. Bri couldn't hold it up that high but she loved watching it drizzle from the ones I held up.


 I wasn't sure how Hunter would like this craft. He usually won't sit still for things like this. I was surprised that he played with this for about 20-25 minutes. Brianna did it for closer to 40 minutes. She loves to paint so that wasn't surprising to me. We will definitely be doing this again in the future!

P.S. Have baby wipes ready for easy clean-up :)

1 comment:

Ken Loyd said...

Can't tell if Hunter is gonna be a righty or a lefty. But either way, his handwriting looks about like mine-- in third grade. Love your idea. You deserve the Courageous Mother award.