Monday, March 1, 2010

$100 Grocery Challenge

Well, February has come and gone, and let's see how the Eat From Your Pantry Challenge went...

MAJOR FLOP!!

I made only a handful of new recipes and I still went grocery shopping because I couldn't bear to pass up the really good deals.

BUT, I did spend only $88.92 on groceries for the month of February. Yes, we had the Norovirus for the last week of the month, but I know I still could have easily stayed under $100. If you include the two times we splurged and ate out (McDonalds both times - we're so bad!) we still only spent right at $105 for the month. I think that's pretty darn good.

So good, in fact, that I am going to try it again for March... maybe I'm crazy. March just looks longer on the calendar even though there are only three extra days. And there are things I definitely want to buy that aren't on sale (for some reason when I'm sick I crave Chef Boyardee products). So I want to aim for the goal of $100 this month again, and we'll just see how it goes. Anybody else willing to try? Even if your goal is simply to cut your grocery bill in half, you might amaze yourself!!

February:

Final shopping total - $419.28
OOP - $88.92
Saved - $330.36 (about 79%)

1 comment:

'Tracey Garner said...

We probably spent more on Gatorade when we had the Norovirus than you spent all month. That was terrible stuff.