Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Frugal Tips: Make Your Own...

Toddler Snacks!

Everyone I know that has a kid loves those snacks for kids to keep them distracted and occupied... Graduates Puffs... Graduate fruit leather... teething biscuits... Cheerios... the list goes on and on. And while these are really great and tasty, they can certainly add up and throw off your budget. Brianna (1-year old) loves these snacks too, but I wanted something cheap that she snack on and love! I don't want to buy Puffs and Cheerios for the rest of my life!

Enter: Oatmeal and Banana cookies (thanks to Wholesome Baby Food for this recipe!

Ingredients:
1 c quick oats
1 c ground oats (grind oats and make a coarse oat flour)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon or ginger or cardamom (or all of the above!)
1/4 t nutmeg
1 t baking powder
1 c (~2) overripe bananas, mashed
1 t vanilla extract
3 T oil of choice



Mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, and then mix them together. Drop by the spoonful on a greased baking sheet. Bake approximately 12 minutes at 350.


I halved this recipe and it still made three dozen of these bite-size cookies! To get Brianna used to the texture, I put a dollop of peach yogurt on top of each bite. This morning, I crumbled several cookies into her blueberry yogurt for a yummy breakfast! (I guess it's yummy, she kept smacking her lips and grinning!)

My guess is you have most of these things in your pantry right now. If you don't have the bananas, they are so cheap right now, particularly if you're only buying two for these recipe. Bananas are $0.50/lb at Food Lion, $0.47/bag at Lowes Food (around 2 lbs), about $0.44/lb at Walmart, and around $0.59/lb at Harris Teeter. You won't go broke buying bananas.

As for the oats, they are pretty much always less than $1.00 for 18 ounces at Lowes Food. Harris Teeter's are much more expensive, although Food Lion probably is competitive with Lowes. They will last through several of these recipes if you choose to make it repeatedly. Like I said, I halved the recipe so I only used one cup of oats total. There are over six cups in an 18oz container. You do the math. It's too hard for me.

I would say your child is ready for these around 10 months or so.

What kind of homemade snacks do you make for your kids?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm making these for my daughter right now! They look so good! Thanks!