Sunday, May 2, 2010

$100 Grocery Challenge

Okay, April has come and gone, so let's check in and see how our $140 grocery challenge went this month....

MADE IT!!!

The numbers for this month don't look great - I spent almost all of the $140 and didn't save as much as I'd normally like, but I also added in the bill for Brianna's birthday party. So it could have been much worse!

April:

Final shopping total - $402.79
OOP - $130.09
Saved - $272.70 (about 68%)

(Without adding in Brianna's party costs I would have saved 73% which is about normal.)

Soooooo, on to a new month! May! 2010 is flying by already. This month I am going back to my $100 budget, mainly because we are doing something new this "growing season". A while ago Jenn blogged about our local food co-op. After a slight deliberation, Stephen and I decided to try it out this year. We paid $189 for 17 weeks of local fruits and vegetables, although we will get a box delivery only every other week. I want to make sure we don't have any food going to waste, but you can definitely choose to get a box every week. It will come out to being just over $40 per month. For this first month I am still going to set our budget at $100 but it would be really cool if I could lower the budget during the summer months since I (hopefully) won't be buying as much produce!

It will also be cool just to be able to support our local growers, which I never do even though I want to because the farmers markets are not really close to me, and they're only at designated times, etc. I also think it will be awesome for our diets to eat more fruits and vegetables, although we do already eat a lot, I'm not sure we eat the real amount we should.

I'll let you know how it goes! You can go to the website for more information. I'm not sure if they're still accepting members or not but I only signed up a couple of days ago, so they probably are.

No comments: