Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shopping for Clothes

I know, everyone wants to save money on everything. And there are some things people have always said, "You just can't save money on ____________." But I don't think that's true. My mom and dad have taught me you can save money on everything, you just have to have patience, strategy, and time!

One thing I started a long time ago is stockpiling clothes for my kids in larger sizes. I remember someone laughing at me when I was pregnant with Brianna because I bought a couple of pairs of blue jeans that were 2T because they were 50 cents. Now that she is in 2T, I am really glad I thought ahead!!

One other thing I do is shop secondhand. Our Goodwill is really not very nice, but you never know what you'll find. On the other hand, our local Coalition thrift store is much neater than Goodwill and only about $1 more for clothes (most of their kids clothes are $2.00 although some go as low as $0.25).

But I have found out something awesome. Kohl's clothing store has incredible sales after Christmas. We don't have a local Kohl's (coming soon!) but we are always in GA after Christmas and I can stock up then for the next year. This year, I knew Bri needed some long-sleeve shirts if I could find them cheap, and Hunter could use some long-sleeve shirts in bigger sizes.



I came home with ten items (and one gift item for my nephew Evan). I spent $26 over the two times I went to the store and saved almost $120. I'll be honest, $26 sounds like a lot to me, but that comes out to less than $3 per outfit!! These will last the kids definitely through this winter, and actually one thing is for Hunter for next winter. None of these are in danger of being outgrown.

I can't wait for a Kohl's to come to town! Did anyone else get any great after-holiday sales?

P.S. Don't forget to ask your cashier if you have any questions! I saw a really cute shirt and pants set for Brianna that didn't have a price tag on it. I took it to the counter and asked the girl how to find out the cost. It was $36.00 but because it was supposed to have three pieces, and it was on sale, she knocked it down to $5.00!!

No comments: