Friday, January 6, 2012

Make Your Own

Bathtub Soap Crayons!

A few months ago my nephew turned 1. I wanted to get him something cool for his birthday but it just seemed like he had everything. I couldn't think of anything to get him that he might not already get. Then I came across a recipe for making your own bathtub soap crayons! My sister-in-law bought these for Brianna a long time ago and she hasn't used them up yet even though she uses them every time she's in the bathtub! She loves them, and so I thought I would try this recipe.

What You Will Need:

Clear glycerin soap base, cut into cubes (I got this at Michaels)
3 or more soap color dyes (also at Michaels)
Essential oils (optional, also sold at Michaels)
Glass measuring cup for melting soap
Spoons for mixing colors and fragrances
Ice cube trays or crayon molds

Separate the soap base cubes; one pile for each soap color dye.


Place the soap cube for the first color in a glass measuring cup and melt in microwave in short bursts. Once melted, add soap color a drop at a time, mixing well after each drop until you get the color right. Add a couple of drops of essential oils (optional) and mix well.

Carefully pour the color soap into ice cube trays.


Repeat the same soap crayon making process with the rest of the colors.

Allow the soap to set until it is firm. This could take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. When the soap is close to firm, feel free to place the soap in the freezer to speed up the hardening process.

When ready, pop the soap crayons out of the trays.


I don't know how well these worked but they were really easy to make. Like I told my sister, if nothing else, they would be cool soap for the kids to use!

I used ice cube trays. At the time (October) Michaels wasn't carrying the crayon molds. They said they are only sold seasonally. Get this - a week after I gave him this present, I found crayon molds at a thrift store for 50 cents!!! Obviously I grabbed them up. :) Crayon molds would make them much easier to hold onto, I suspect.

Brianna helped me make this craft, and so I highly recommend it as a fun thing to do with your 2-year old on up to your tween. She had a ball making them and I didn't have to worry about her getting hurt on anything or something like that.

I got my info for these crayons from here.

Let me know if you make them and what you did differently!

No comments: