Saturday, March 17, 2012

Kids Craft - Paper Roll Shamrock

 I have a shocker for you. I have yet another St. Patrick's Day craft (this is the last one, I promise!) and it is ALSO from No Time For Flashcards.

This craft was not quite as kid-friendly as the other two with the actual making of it, but the end result was a big winner with my 2-year old!!

What you'll need:
  • Toilet paper roll
  • Green paint
  • Green chenille stems
  • Scissors
  • Hole punch
Have your child paint the toilet roll with the green paint, both inside and outside. I actually painted ours one morning while Bri was at school and let it dry overnight. I don't think she would be able to paint the inside anyway, so it was easier for me to just do it and let her help me with the rest of the craft.

Once it's dried all the way, bend the roll into the shape of a heart.


Use your scissors to cut slices a little less than an inch wide. This is somewhat difficult, so definitely not a task for little kids.


Use your hole punch to make a hole very close to the bottom tip of the heart. The original instructions say that, but I actually made a hole punch on each side of the bottom tip. With just one hole, it was too flimsy.

Oh, and I use the phrase "hole punch" very freely. I don't have a single hole punch, just a three-hole, so I used the sharp end of scissors to make my holes. :)

Thread a chenille stem through the holes on all four hearts. I had neon green pipe cleaners, so that's what I used. Turn the end of the stem and twist it to the stem tightly. Fold the tip over since it's so sharp.

This was Bri's face when I showed her the finished product.


 Wand in action:

 Very happy with her new wand!


I walked around the house pointing to green things and saying, "Poof! Now it's green!" She would cackle and say, "But it's already green!!" She soon began "poof-ing" things as well. She thought it was hilarious.

No comments: