Monday, March 26, 2012

Make Your Own

Clorox Wipes!

We love Clorox wipes for the convenience factor but they are so darn expensive! So why not just make your own? I got the information to do this from here. P.S. Did you know there is a disclaimer on the back of the wipes saying they are hazardous to humans and domestic animals? Yowza!

What you'll need:
  • Squares of cloth (I used old baby washcloths)
  • water
  • castile soap
  • tea tree oil
  • white vinegar
  • a container
You can make the squares out of an old t-shirt, old cloth diapers, pretty much whatever you want. I just used baby washcloths so I didn't have to make anything. I put them, folded in half, in a baby wipes plastic tub. I mixed a cup of water with a squirt of castile soap, about 4 drops of tea tree oil, and some white vinegar. After mixing it, I poured it over the washcloths.

I had castile soap that I purchased on sale quite some time ago - if you make a lot of homemade stuff you will use it frequently. Same goes with tea tree oil. Both are quite expensive but you can get a lot of usage out of them. (Case in point: I first bought tea tree oil around April 2010 to start making my own baby wipes solution... I am still using the same bottle and it's just a couple of ounces!)



This really works for me because I already wash cloth diapers and homemade baby wipes with my homemade facial wipes, so it's really not adding anything to laundry.

I'm excited about this because we only buy disinfecting wipes when they are 50 cents or less, and when they are gone I'm so sad because it means I'm back to using old rags or paper towels (I really don't like using expensive paper towels for minor wipe-ups!)

Let me know if you have your own "disinfecting" solution that I should try when I'm out of this!

No comments: