Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Make Your Own

Carpet Stain Remover!

With two small children, we are ALWAYS getting new stains on our carpet. They don't come up with the shampooer (although it does make them look a little "nicer" I suppose) so I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying out the stain remover found here.

So simple even a mom with little kids hanging on to her legs can do it!

You will need:
  • Baking soda or cornstarch
  • Clear dishwashing liquid
  • White vinegar
  • Warm water
  • Cold water
  • A white cloth
First of all, you need to scrape up the liquid from the carpet. This is if, of course, you are able to clean up the stain immediately following the incident causing the stain. Considering the fact I don't notice most stains for weeks, I skipped this step.

Sprinkle baking soda or cornstarch on the stain to let it absorb for 10 minutes. Vacuum it up.

Mix one tablespoon clear dishwashing liquid (I used Dawn) and one tablespoon white vinegar with two cups of warm water.

Using a white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution and blot until all the liquid is absorbed.

Sponge off with cold water and blot dry.

Before:






After:


It was such a noticeable difference! Now this was pretty time-consuming. Took me probably 15 minutes total for this one stain. So when I looked around and saw one trillion more stains on the carpet, I decided to attack them over time! But I love this because it uses stuff I already have around the house and better yet - it works! And CHEAP! Lots of things to love about this recipe. I highly recommend you use this!

No comments: