Monday, February 27, 2012

Freezer Cooking: Waffles

Ever since I figured out how to make and freeze homemade waffles I haven't bought store waffles from the freezer. I think even if I could get them for free I wouldn't feed them to my kids. There are so many ingredients in them, and I want to know what I'm putting in my kids' bodies as much as possible.

Enter homemade waffles! Easy and delicious, and perfect for popping in the toaster oven in the morning.

(See my original post here.)

Waffles Recipe

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)

Preheat your waffle iron to the hottest setting. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees if you are eating them right away (you can put them in there to keep them warm).
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat eggs thoroughly. Whisk in sugar, milk, and oil. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Don't overmix.
Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle your batter on your waffle iron and close it. Cook until done - your waffle should be golden brown and crispy.

Freezing them is a cinch! For example, this recipe makes eight waffles for my waffle iron. I set them on a wire rack to cool as I'm taking them off the waffle iron. When they are cool, I simply put them in a freezer bag, put the date on them, and put them in the freezer! How easy is that!? They should last a good two months in the freezer. Eight waffles never last more than about 10 days in our house though!

What's great about these is you can add your fruit of choice or even chocolate and they still freeze great. When I'm adding fruit I try to smash them with a potato masher, just so there aren't large chunks of fruit, which would probably turn off my kids.

No comments: