Thursday, March 15, 2012

Make Your Own

Fruit and Veggie Wash!

I prefer to buy local produce (can't wait for farmer's markets to open!!) and there are certain foods I prefer to buy organic (like apples) but I still think that washing all produce is a great concept. Do I do it all the time? No. Would I like to do it all the time? I'd like to get in the habit for my kids anyway. But those produce wash products are expensive!! Surely there's a homemade version...

What you'll need:
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
Get a small bottle and pour all the ingredients in. Shake well. Spray your produce with the liquid and let it sit for a minute. Rinse the produce under running water. Rinse it really well so the vinegar flavor doesn't linger.



I had a mystery shop a few days ago and I was required to make a purchase. I took this opportunity to buy a spray bottle, since I'm going to be reimbursed anyway!! So this is my produce spray bottle now. Labeling is always very important!

I got the original information for this from here. She has some great advice, such as "Porous fruits (peaches and berries) might absorb the lemon juice so spray them and then wash immediately without waiting a minute."  You should go check out her blog.

Also please take note from her blog "You’ll need to make a new batch about every two weeks. Leaving it at room temperature makes the lemon juice lose its potency."

Loving this! Let me know if you try it!


No comments: